In this article, we will learn what Windows updates are, why we need them, and how to get them on the Windows 10 and 11 operating systems.
What is Windows Update?
Microsoft provides free updates for Windows operating systems that include service packs and patches. Windows updates also include Microsoft Office updates and other Microsoft products. They also include updates for hardware drivers such as graphic drivers, sound drivers, and many more.
Microsoft schedules the release of patches and security updates frequently through Windows Updates on Patch Tuesday, the second Tuesday of each month at 10:00 AM PST, depending upon the time zone in which the company works.
Why do we need Windows Update?
Windows updates are not only used to keep Microsoft Windows and other Microsoft products up-to-date, but also address security issues that may be exploited by malware or hackers. It also includes new features and enhancements.
Like other software, the Microsoft Windows operating system also has flaws, errors, incompatibilities, and other out-of-date software. We all know that Windows isn’t perfect. That’s why Microsoft released Windows security patches to fix the vulnerabilities and other errors in Windows.
Keeping your computer system up-to-date should be the top priority of any user and IT administrator in an organization.
There are three important reasons to keep your Windows up-to-date.
- Windows Updates Address Security Issues.
- It resolves Windows issues that prevent it from functioning properly.
- It lets you upgrade to new Microsoft software or get new features.
How to get updates on Windows 10
Most computers have Windows update set up to “Install Update Automatically,” which is the recommended setting for Windows. But you have the option to check for updates manually.
Follow the steps below to check for the latest update on Windows 10.
1. Click Start menu > Go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Updates
Or, in search, type update and click “Check for updates.”
2. Under Update & Security, select Windows Update and then click “Check for updates“. If there is the latest update available, it will start downloading and installing.
3. Windows Update is installing the security update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus.
How to get updates on Windows 11
Follow the steps below to get an update on the Windows 11 operating system.
1. Click Start menu > Select Settings > Windows Update and then click “Check for updates“.
2. Windows 11 is checking for updates.
3. If there are any latest updates available, it will download and install them. If your Windows 11 is up to date, it will show the message “You’re up to date“.
Follow the link below to learn how to activate Windows 10 and 11 operating systems.
Windows Update is an essential part of the operating system. It addresses the security issues and keeps them up-to-date. In this blog post, we learned what Windows updates are, why we need them, and how to get them for the Windows 10 and 11 operating systems.