In this blog post, we will learn how to restore a disk from the backup image file using Clonezilla backup software.
When your operating system is unable to start due to a hard disk crash, failure, malware attacks, or any other reason, then you can restore the entire hard disk by using Clonezilla from the backup image file.
Restore Hard Disk Using Clonezilla
In this example, we will try to restore a source repository image file on hard disk NVME0N2P1 to the destination drive NVME0N1. We already have a Clonezilla image file named Windows_10_Img.
1. Insert the Clonezilla live bootable USB flash drive into your computer, restart it, and boot from it.
2. At the Clonezilla boot menu, select Clonezilla live (Default settings, VGA 800×600) and press enter.
3. Choose the language as “English” and press enter.
4. Select the US keyboard as the default keyboard layout and press enter.
5. Select “Start Clonezilla.”
6. Select “device-mage” option and press enter.
7. Select “local_dev” and press enter.
8. Press Ctrl+C to exit.
9. Select nvme0n2p1 as the image repository, and press enter.
10. Skip repairs the file system before mounting the image repository.
11. Select the image file and press enter.
12 Enter to continue
13 Select “Beginner mode” and press enter.
14. Select “restoredisk” and press enter.
15. Choose the image file to restore (source image) and press enter.
16. Select the destination nvme0n1 to restore and press enter
17. Select Yes, check the image before restoring. It’s always a good idea to check the image integrity before restoring.
18. Choose reboot/shutdown mode when everything is finished and press enter.
19. Press enter to continue
20. Clonezilla now is restoring the selected disk image to nvme0n1.
21. Type yes, and hit enter to continue
22. Type yes, and hit enter to continue
23. Press enter to continue
23. Here we choose Power off, then when the shutdown process is done remove the Clonezilla live removable media.
We have successfully restored the image from hard disk NVME0N2P1 to hard disk NVME0N1.
Follow our post below on how to use Clonezilla to save disk images.
Image restore is a very important feature to have when your operating system is unable to start due to hard disk failure, malware attacks, or any other reason. In this blog post, we learned how to restore a disk from the backup image file using Clonezilla software.