In this article, we will walk you through how to install and uninstall applications on Windows operating systems.
When you purchase a Windows-based desktop or laptop computer, it comes with some of the useful default pre-installed applications, such as Microsoft Edge, Mail, Calendar, Calculator, Clock, Photo Viewer, Video Editor, 3D Viewer, Get Office 365, Get Skype, Maps, etc.
These pre-installed applications are good for basic work but not for everyday tasks. Applications such as a PDF reader for PDF document reading and VLC media player, which support almost all media player extensions, are missing. These programs can be installed from the Microsoft Store or by downloading and installing them from the official website.
How to Install an Application Using the Microsoft Store
The first method to install applications in Windows 10 or Windows 11 is by using the Microsoft Store. You can search for your favorite program and install it from here in no time. In this example, we will install VLC media player by using the Microsoft Store.
1. Click on the start menu, type “store,” and then click “Microsoft Store.”
2. Click on apps, and in the search bar type VLC; you will see the VLC media player application; then click on “Install.”
3. Wait a few minutes for the installation process to be completed. After the installation is complete, a pop-up window will open; click Yes to start using the program.
How to Install an Application After Downloading
The second method to install the application on the Windows operating system is by visiting the official website, downloading the program, and then installing it.
It is highly recommended to download the program only from the official website to avoid malware attacks that could steal information from your system, spread viruses over the network, or corrupt your operating system.
In this example, we will download the VLC media player from its official website and then install the application.
1. Click on the VLC media player link below to visit the official website and download the program.
2. On the right of the Download VLC button, click on the drop-down menu and select your package to download.
3. After downloading the program, run the downloaded setup file, select the “I accept the terms in the license agreement” checkbox, and click “Install.”
4. Wait for the installation process to complete; after the installation is complete, launch the program by selecting “Launch VLC media player when setup exists” and then clicking “Finish.”
5. The VLC media player window will open as shown below.
How to uninstall applications by using Apps and Features
Let’s see how to use the “Apps and Features” option to uninstall the application in the Windows operating system.
1. To uninstall the application, click on Start menu > Settings.
2. Click “Apps” and then click “Apps & Features.”
3. Scroll down and click on three dots next to the program that you want to uninstall, and then click “Uninstall” twice as shown in the below image.
4. An uninstaller window will pop up. Follow the uninstallation instructions to uninstall the program.
5. Click “Uninstall.”
6. After the uninstallation process is complete, click “Finish.”
How to uninstall application from Program and Features
Let’s see how to uninstall the application using the Control Panel’s Program and Features option.
1. From the keyboard, select Win + r to open the run window, type control, and hit enter to open the control panel.
2. From the control panel window, select “Programs and Features.”
3. Double-click on the program that you want to uninstall, for example, VLC media player, and follow the uninstallation instructions.
Installation and uninstallation of any program on the Windows operating system is very easy; you just have to follow the installation and uninstallation instructions to achieve the task.
Follow our article below on how to install Autodesk DWG TrueView 2021.
Windows operating systems come with many useful default applications to perform basic tasks, but for everyday use, you have to install some software to achieve your goal. We learned how to install and uninstall applications in Windows using various methods in this blog post.