In this article, we will see how to configure Veritas Backup Exec to discover data to backup.
Backup Exec’s data discovery features detect new backup content within a Windows or Active Directory domain environment. It allows you to configure a job that searches for new server, database, or application data.
Discover data operations runs at 12:00 PM every day by default, and it also runs whenever you restart the backup exec server. You have the option to disable it or change the default configuration settings by using global backup executable settings.
Only the servers that fulfill the following requirements are identified by the data discovery operation.
- It should belong to the same domain as the Backup Exec server.
- The Windows management instrumentation service should be up and running.
- Users with Backup Exec Management Service access should also have WMI access.
- Configure the firewall to allow WMI network traffic.
Configure Backup Exec to Discover Data to Backup
Following the steps below to configure Backup Exec to Discover Data to Backup
1. Click on Backup Exec > Configuration and Settings > Backup Exec Settings
2. On the left pane, click “Discover Data to Back Up.” You will see that the servers that had data that had not been backed up when data discovery was performed were discovered.
You can select the frequency with which backup exec searches for any data that needs to be backed up, and you can configure the interval at which backup exec searches for any data that needs to be backed up.
3. When you have configured the settings as per your requirements, click “OK” to save the settings.
Follow the instructions in the articles below to configure disk storage in Veritas Backup Exec.
Backup Exec’s data discovery features detect new backup content within a Windows or Active Directory domain environment. In this blog post we learned how to configure data discovery features in Veritas Backup Exec.